Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ah...Spooning

Goose bumps rising
I pulled up the blanket
no actually, it was really
that coffee stained down comforter
from those cold mornings
spent in bed carefree,
talking,
laughing,
watching as the coffee spilled.

Now these coffee stains mock me...

In those days
time was unhurried
days when you meant everything
but now I live without you
no spooning for warmth
at night
no more you and me
those invisible imperfections
are in the comforter hall of fame
love stained
remembrance observed
from those wonderful cold mornings
when time stood still.

Now these coffee stains mock me...

He could have been yours, you know,
images of you,
gathering your robe
from beside the bed
to go for coffee---

a new love has come
it was meant to be
that we met
and My Lord is one
I will never forget,
Soft, beautiful eyes
my days could be so different
yet destiny intervened
I've smiled alot
I've cried much
I have to let the other go
not that I want to say goodbye
it is what is...

Now these coffee stains mock me.

He could be yours, you know
Standing there,
watching the sunset over the lake
for a moment feeling
carefree and whole again
but the phone rings..
always the phone
then suddenly
you bounded away.

Now these coffee stains mock me...

I am left alone
with someone missing
so for now these chilly Fall morns
are mocking me
knowing this Winter
there will be no spooning
for warmth
or cuddling for love's sake.

I wrap myself tightly
in a cocoon
made by My Lord
there beneath my skin
Spirit quickening
where the nights begin an
new affair
with His Spirit.

Ah spooning...

1 comment:

Teresa D. Smith said...

This poem was written last year as Winter knocked on Falls Window during a time when I felt as if I had been long absent from the Warmth of Summer and felt the chill of Winter. A season of Change in my life.