Wednesday, July 22, 2009

123 is more than a measurement in miles

I am on a journey...
I don't understand folks that look at the outside of a book
and decide to open it solely based on some exterior "appeal".

I also don't understand those folks
that will read the first page or two
and jump immediately to the back of the book.

That is not me!!!

I read the book.
Often times, more than once.
I want to be "connected", to "ride the rides",
watch the characters develop,
"immerse myself" in new flavors, new worlds

Some of my favorites are worn with time, love,
creases, crinkles, earmarks, underlines, side notes,
smiles.

I cannot have it any other way!!!

How does anyone really know
that there is a pearl inside of an oyster?
You have to open it up!

I am reminded of Dorothy from "The Wizard of Oz
"Dorothy found her strength, her purpose,
her meaning in the journey...
Each yellow brick lined in engaging opportunities, flowers, friends,
confidence growing with each skip
Each step.
The shiny, green City was thought at first to be the "end goal"
The answer to all her problems
The way "home"

There was no real magic in the shiny, green City
Her true "prize" was found along the yellow brick path
When she opened her heart to the unlikeliest of "soul mates"
She "rescues" Scarecrow, and he "rescues her right back
"Finding tender Heart under TinMan's rust and wear
Bringing out the Giant inner Roar of the King of the Forest
And always Toto
I don't think Dorothy looked back when she left the Witch under that house
Dorothy took what she needed, no more no less
She took her shoes
And she made sure that no other Witch took those shoes again!

123 is so much more than a measure of distance
Not just miles from here to You
Not just miles from You to Me
Not just a chasm or a great divide
It's more like 1, 2, 3
Forward first steps in a journey
On a road paved in beauty
Peppered with deep, fresh breaths
Powerful Exhales
Mountain views, roadside flowers, hot boiled peanuts
Brilliant conversations about everything, and nothing at all
Lots of laughter
Plenty of time
Sometimes all you need are your heart and your shoes
Ruby Red Heels
Steps 1, 2, 3
Click along the yellow path...

(be careful of the Wizard behind the curtain)

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I like your About Me article. We are kin, sister.
We are very much alike.
Sandy

Teresa D. Smith said...

Hey Sandy...thanks! I hope you enjoy the other writings as well. I, like yourself, do feel a definite kinship between us....I merely try to share insight and love through my writing...oftentimes, the love comes across as "tough love" as in the biblical lessons, and at times tender love in poetic form. But at the end of the day...the written word is my constant companion! The Spirit an ever constant guide!

Susan Creighton said...

Hi Teresa,
I am so very blessed by your website. I am just beginning to read your writings and am so excited to read them all. WOW! I know my meeting Corrine and then seeing you for a friends request is the Lord. Thank you for your message and know I will be reading your site...You are an excellent writer, (I am sure you have been told that by many). I am so excited to meet another Christian writer and look forward to getting to know you...thank you again for your FB message and kind words..I will write soon after I read some more! Bless you and have a wonderful day!