Friday, March 26, 2010

Uncle Eds Euology I delivered

My Uncle Ed was my Hero. I was so blessed to have his fatherly guidance in my early life. For to me, he was the Father I never had but always wanted. He was always there for me when I needed him. He taught me so many things like the value of hard work and that all you really have in this world is Your Word…so keep it, protect it and remember that a handshake means more than signing on the dotted line. These precious”gifts” he gave to me were far better than any Nintendo or X-box for he taught me the “game of life” and how to win at “it”.

I was always so struck by how easy Uncle Ed was in his own skin; the way spiritual people often are. He conveyed loyalty, trust; confidence and the quiet assurance that came from a lifetime of simply doing the right thing by people… both the 2- legged kind and the 4- legged ones like Prissy, Lady, and Pepe and so many others along the way.He had this enormous heart and a curiosity about people which permitted him to listen TO you, and then ask just the right questions honed to find out how you got to be “whoever” it is you are…better yet---who is it you want to BECOME and what were you going to do to change things to chart your course in that direction.

I can remember one special day that over the years proved to be that “tipping point” in my life…those scales which determine the direction your life will take. The precise negative incident in my life isn’t important but his response is….Uncle Ed said so warmly “In this life negative critical things will be said about you, and you will not be thrilled, people will be mean and yes it will hurt. Bottom-line, there are way more important things in life than what is written or said “about you” (whether that is GOOD things or BAD things) like your FAMILY and how “authentically” are you living your life.

Uncle Ed was never confused about HIS “inner” world and this tired ole worn out world. Although as a teenager I had to get out the Webster’s dictionary to truly know what authentically meant, I got it!He continued to “inject” HIS KIND SPIRIT into each of us along the way almost like a “special inoculation” to ward off the darkness that threatens daily to snuff out the light.

Uncle Ed was always seemingly on this special mission and never waited for things to happen …he was “pro-active”, needing to feel as if he was getting on with “his journey”. I listened when he said “there are some things in this life that you are going to experience pain from, and when it happens you just HAVE to dust yourself off and move-on.He did this his entire life with a smile on his face and love in his heart. He lived an “authentic” life. In so doing, he made each of us gathered here today feel “less alone” and “more courageous..

Even though my dearest Uncle Ed has left this earth, he will never leave my heart, my memory or my life! As I have shared with some, there is a rocking chair in the midst of my mind where he sits and his memory will endure as a blessing forever. His death will definitely serve as a reminder of a life well spent. Over the years his example of authentic living taught me that the great use of life is to “spend it” for something that will outlast it, make daily “deposits” of genuine care, compassion and love into the lives of those around you, and when “withdrawals” are needing from the hearts of others…receive it with a grateful attitude for no-one has to be kind.

As each of us looks back on the time and energy He gave to us...we will truly know just how rich we have been. I love you Uncle Ed, you have forever deposited a legacy into my life...one of hard work, the value of character, and giving of ones self to the greater good! What a legacy: I salute you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have tears just imagining what this obviously special human has done for so many lives. It can only be proof that angels do walk amongst us! Teresa, it looks as if your life was literally touched by one of Gods own angel...the only mask he wore was one of "a mere man in the flesh" walking this Earth...leaving His mark and trusting "that mark" all the way home to Heaven! Thanks so much for your brave heart to share not only your Uncle Ed with us all, but your "sharing" actually is reveling of WHO you are! God bless you and all those that you will touch...may they be open to what you have to share and give...most simply are tooo "caught up" in other things to see the priceless value you share here! Thanks, I can't to call my Aunt and tell her how much she means and take my trip down memory lane while she is still with me. Teesa...May your courage to stand and to share be the guiding light along your "journey". The is going to be much at the end of it for you. This I promise!

Anonymous said...

Hey YOU! I think I know exactly who this comment is from as only a very select few people call me Tessa. Lately it has been Tee. "S" I want to say thanks for your response though "anonymously"...I just want to make people think about THEIR own lives and those VERY SPECIAL people who have been their at "those CERTAIN critical" moments in life (childhood, high-school etc and were so inspirational in helping to develop OUR "character, our lifes journey, and being that anchor when the storms at sea threatened our "attempt at walking on the water" Oftentime, I have found that Faith wavers, and another comes along at the most precious moment to interject that "just what is needed" to keep one going, believing, and sharing. Too many today just hide behind their "jobs", their "bills" and attempt to mask what's real in order to appear what "others" EXPECT of them. The real truth is ....they CHOOSE to wear the mask because they haven't actually "arrived" at that "tipping point" you described here...those scales where ones life can go "this" way or "another" way... I have been there too many times to count...and just when I was ready to give up...some "angelic being" (aka friend would say that certain thing which made me think about WHAT EXACTLY IS LIVING? Your word about your Uncle have touched me in a special place.

Tammy said...

I wished I had the gift you did of knowing him...not only was you blessed with this angel disguised in human form as a family member...you know when it is your time to go...it will probably be him who meets you and carries you to the other-side. That is IF you die before we ALL are change at the blink of an eye at the Last Trump.